The West Nebraska Family Research & History Center boasts as having one of the premier collections of local historical and genealogical research materials in western Nebraska. While there are certainly other collections available in the panhandle, we are confident that most of what you may be looking for can be found in our facility. If we don’t have it, we know where to find it.
We offer a number of services utilizing our in-house resources and other off site research material as may occasionally be required. We are always working on and looking for new projects to enhance our collection while providing researchers with unique, little known or hard to find research material that may provide a glimpse into the lives of their ancestors.
- Site Under Construction - This website is under construction so please pardon our “dust”. New features are being developed and will be added soon.
- Library Policies - The West Nebraska Family Research & History Center is a small institution that rarely fills to capacity and we don’t normally have a problem with unruly patrons so our policies are minimal at best, but there are a few … Continue reading
- Hours & Holiday Schedule - The Center is normally open six days per week and is free to use for everyone. Since we rely entirely on the generosity of our volunteers, its possible that the facility may have to be closed unexpectedly or within a moments … Continue reading
- We Are Volunteers - Our facility is staffed entirely by wonderfully talented volunteers who are committed to helping our patrons find the resources they need to research their family’s history. The staff has worked tirelessly over many years to create and maintain a research facility anyone would be … Continue reading
- The Bill of Rights and You On December 15, 2016, the West Nebraska Family Research & History Center will host a new exhibit from the National Archives, The Bill of Rights and You, commemorating the 225th anniversary of the ratification of this landmark document. The Bill of Rights and You spotlights one of the most remarkable periods in American history, explores ...
- West Nebraska General Hospital School of Nursing Graduating Class Photo Collection WNFRHC receives West Nebraska General Hospital School of Nursing graduating class pictures and display The University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Nursing formerly the West Nebraska General Hospital School of Nursing recently moved their offices and training center to a new location out by the airport and while downsizing they suddenly found themselves without enough ...
- The INDEX Archive books The INDEX newspaper, aka the Mitchell Index, ceased operation with their last published issue on 29 June 2016. Due to declining revenue and increased printing costs Owner/Publisher Chabella Guzman has decide to shut down the weekly print newspaper. According to the History of Western Nebraska by Grant Shumway, The INDEX was started initially in Gering ...