The West Nebraska Family Research & History Center boasts as having one of the premier collections of local historical and genealogical research materials in western Nebraska. While there are certainly other collections available in the panhandle, we are confident that most of what you may be looking for can be found in our facility. If we don’t have it, we probably know where to find it.
We offer a number of services utilizing our in-house resources and other off site research material as may occasionally be required. We are always working on and looking for new projects to enhance our collection while providing researchers with unique, little known or hard to find research material that may provide a glimpse into the lives of their ancestors.
- How to Search this site - There seems to be some confusion about how and where to search for information on this website so let’s try to clear that up. There are actually two separate and distinct search functions that a person can use while looking … Continue reading
- Library Policies - The West Nebraska Family Research & History Center is a small institution that rarely fills to capacity and we don’t normally have a problem with unruly patrons so our policies are minimal at best, but there are a few … Continue reading
- Hours & Holiday Schedule - The Center is normally open six days per week and is free to use for everyone. Since we rely entirely on the generosity of our volunteers, its possible that the facility may have to be closed unexpectedly or within a moments … Continue reading
- Site Under Construction - This website is under construction so please pardon our “dust”. New features are being developed and will be added soon.
- We Are Volunteers - Our facility is staffed entirely by wonderfully talented volunteers who are committed to helping our patrons find the resources they need to research their family’s history. The staff has worked tirelessly over many years to create and maintain a research facility anyone would be … Continue reading
- Alliance Field Trip : June 22nd The West Nebraska Family Research & History Center is once again planning a Field Trip for one of our regularly scheduled Genealogy Roundtable Forums, this year we are planning to visit the Nebraska Veterans Cemetery at Alliance, the Sallows Military Museum and finally the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center. The itinerary as it sits right now ...
- North of the Platte, South of the Niobrara Book Signing Event, February 10th Author Bryan L. Jones will be visiting us here at the Research Center on Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:00 pm for a book signing event of his latest work. Filled with adventurous writing, sharp scrutiny, meticulous and audacious use of language, North of the Platte, South of the Niobrara: A Little Further into the Nebraska Sand ...
- Elvira: A Mexican Immigrant Woman
Book Signing Event, June 30th A new memoir, Elvira: A Mexican Immigrant Woman – 1909-2012, by Eduardo Hernández Chávez has now been published by Ediciones Lengua y Cultura that brings to light a little-known aspect of Mexican-American history. The memoir is the intriguing personal story of Elvira C. Hernandez (née Elvira Chavez), a girl whose family fled Chalchihuites, Zacatecas in 1916, ...